Baby Foot Care for New Parents
Bringing home a brand-new baby is both an exciting and exhausting time, especially for brand-new parents! It can be nerve-wracking to be entirely responsible for the care of a tiny newborn, especially for the first time. There’s a lot to remember, and they grow so quickly. There are many things you might not think about—like your child’s feet—but understanding baby foot care can help you help your little bundle of joy grow with strong, healthy lower limbs set for walking later in life.
It’s important to remember that newborn feet are not the same as adult feet. Like the rest of your child’s body, they are growing rapidly. They’re much softer and do not have well-formed arches yet. Toenails are more likely to appear ingrown and digits may overlap.
Knowing all of this and paying attention to your child’s feet, however, can help you take better care of them. Here are some baby foot care tips for new parents to help your child grow up with strong lower limbs:
- Trim those nails – Baby finger and toenails are sharper than you might expect. Trim toenails regularly to keep them healthy and prevent accidental scratches.
- Play with baby’s feet – Tickling, playing, and gently stretching your baby’s feet stimulates them and works their muscles, helping them grow stronger.
- Pay attention to toenails – It’s surprisingly easy for a baby to develop ingrown nails, which can be painful and expose your child to infections. Check your child’s nails regularly and get help if any look sore or ingrown.
- Keep feet warm – Baby’s feet should be covered and kept warm. If your newborn kicks off his or her socks, a footed onesie might be a good option for you.
- Trust your instincts – If you think something on your child’s foot looks abnormal or concerning, get it checked, just to be safe.
Feet are important at every stage in life, even in infancy. Taking care of your newborn’s feet is a part of basic baby care. Fortunately, you don’t have to help your child grow with healthy feet all on your own. Our team at Family Foot & Ankle Care of Jasper are here for you for every stage of your child’s growth in life. Contact our office in Jasper, IN, online or by calling (812) 481-7200 for more information or a consultation for your child’s feet with our experts today.