Keep Your Feet Safe from Fungus and Infection
Life is all about perspective.
Consider your feet and toenails. To you, they may seem like nothing all that special. You’re grateful for them, of course, but perhaps take them a little for granted. From the perspective of certain micro-organisms, however, your feet and nails represent the opportunity of a lifetime! To them, your feet are like an all-inclusive luxury resort that provides everything they need to grow and thrive—heat, moisture, keratin, the works!
Unfortunately, these fungi, bacteria, and viruses on “indefinite vacation” make very lousy guests. They leave uncomfortable, unsightly, even painful evidence of their presence everywhere. Itchy skin rashes went on top of feet and between toes. Warts on soles and toe tips. Funky, chunky, discolored nails. If you want to avoid this fate, you’d better prevent fungus from taking root on your feet!
- Wash your feet with mild soap and water every day, and dry them well.
- Don’t go barefoot in public, especially in humid common areas. Think locker rooms, pools, public showers, gym, etc. At the very least wear a pair of sandals or shower shoes.
- Avoid sharing towels, shoes, clothes, or other fabrics and linens with others who are infected.
- Avoid sharing razors, nail clippers, spa supplies, or other skin care tools that may come into contact with an infected area.
- Wear comfy shoes with breathable fabric uppers that allow air to circulate. Avoid spending long hours in moisture-trapping footwear if you can help it.
- Wear breathable, moisture-wicking socks. Change them immediately once they become wet. (If you sweat a lot, you may need to change socks more than once per day.)
- Alternate between two or more pairs of shoes every day, allowing each pair more than 24 full hours of “dry time” before you put them back on.
- Apply an anti-fungal spray or powder in your shoes regularly.
- If you like getting pedicures, make sure all technicians are properly licensed and the facility properly sterilizes their chairs, pipes, and equipment between uses—preferably using an autoclave. You may wish to bring your own tools as well.
Don’t let freeloading germs and micro-organisms crash your skin and nails indefinitely! Keep them away with proactive prevention. And if a few do manage to slip through the cracks, make sure you treat them quickly and aggressively with help from Family Foot & Ankle Care of Jasper. The longer you allow these unwanted tenants to stay, the harder they’ll be to evict. Call us today at (812) 481-7200.
Address 695 W. 2nd Street, Suite C, Jasper, Indiana 47546
Hours Mon, Tue, Thu: 9am - 5pm; Wed, Fri: 8am-noon
Download our registration form.