How to Give a Great Foot Massage for Valentine’s Day
Whether you love it or dread it, Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and if your loved one expects something nice to celebrate, it doesn’t hurt to start thinking about it now. Chocolate, flowers, a nice dinner, and other little gifts are frequent favorites, but if you’d like to be different and really pamper your loved one this year, how about a foot massage? Learning to massage feet is easy and a simple but sincere way of showing you care.
Done well, a foot massage can be extremely relaxing and help relieve discomfort from walking and standing. It also boosts circulation in the lower limbs and may improve mood. This is part of what makes it such a great gift for someone you love.
Here are a few tips to help you give a great foot massage:
- Try a soak first – This isn’t required, but a warm foot bath with Epsom salts can help your loved one feel even more relaxed and pampered before your massage.
- Prop up their feet – Prop their lower legs up on a pillow as they sit or lie down. This will help you reach the whole foot comfortably.
- Rotate the ankles and toes – Gently rotate the feet at the ankles, then each toe individually, in small circles.
- Work lotion or foot oil into their soles – Apply lotion and work it into their soles gently.
- Use your thumbs to apply pressure – Apply pressure with your thumbs and move them in small circles for the massage.
The trick is to apply the right amount of pressure. Don’t be afraid to ask your loved one if your massage is too hard or too soft, and adjust accordingly.
In a busy world where most people neglect their feet, a massage can be greatly appreciated! This is just one idea for a thoughtful Valentine’s gift for you loved one. You still have plenty of time before the big day to get everything you need together to make your massage a success.
If you know your loved one frequently struggles with foot pain, another part to the gift might be helping them schedule an appointment with a podiatrist, like our experts here at Family Foot & Ankle Care of Jasper. Foot pain isn’t normal and no one should have to live with it. For more information or to schedule your consultation, use our website or call our Jasper, IN, office at (812) 481-7200.
Address 695 W. 2nd Street, Suite C, Jasper, Indiana 47546
Hours Mon, Tue, Thu: 9am - 5pm; Wed, Fri: 8am-noon
Download our registration form.